Like us on Facebook

 photo Final-About.png photo Final-MenuYA.png photo Final-MenuGoAway.png photo Final-MenuContact.png

Monday, March 2, 2015

Sapphire Blue Readalong



Well, February is over which means I’ve reread Ruby Red and realized I don’t really know myself as well as I thought I did. It also means we’re closer to tax day, but I’m doing my best not to think about that because it makes me want to turn the Boston Harbor into a giant cup of tea.

But back to my identity crisis.

See, I thought I loved Gideon de Villiers from the first moment I met him. Looking back, I imagined this sweet guy who was also really capable and swoon-worthy and all of the other good things. Except he’s not.

As I reread Ruby Red, I was all “What witchcraft is this?” because Gideon was not kind and he wasn’t swoon-worthy and he was only mostly capable because he did need Gwen to save his life after all.

Then the month ended with me looking at a dress and seeing it go from white and gold to blue and black and back again, and that really cemented this personality disorder. Anyway, what became clear very early in the book is that Ruby Red is about Gwen being awesome and kicking butt even though pretty much everyone but her equally awesome BFF underestimate her.

So if you’re one book in and thinking, “These jackholes promised me a swoon-worthy boy and all I got was Judgy McJudgerson and his Cloak of Superiority,” well, you’re mostly right. But you also got an amazing heroine who learns quickly, stands up for herself, and is basically hilarious.


And there’s more of that in the second book, Sapphire Blue. There’s also a kinder Gideon and a gargoyle who steals every scene he’s in.

Join in the big readalong this month by tweeting your thoughts under the hashtag #SapphireBlueReread.

In other reading news, I have an announcement about the YA Book Club … but you’ll have to wait until Wednesday for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment