Like us on Facebook

 photo Final-About.png photo Final-MenuYA.png photo Final-MenuGoAway.png photo Final-MenuContact.png

Monday, August 18, 2014

Ready, Set, Write: Kinda, Sorta Hitting Goals



Here’s the deal: Ready, Set, Write! is a summer writing intensive that encourages goal-setting and accountability. Plus, it provides an opportunity for writers to cheer each other on—whether they’re planning, drafting, revising, and/or polishing a story. The event is hosted by Alison MillerJaime MorrowErin Funk, and Katy Upperman.

HOW I DID ON LAST WEEK’S GOALS 
When I say “last week,” I mean “the last time I participated in RSW, which may or may not have been a week ago.” As of my last blog post, my goal was to start querying my sci-fi mystery WIP and world-build my fantasy WIP. Check and check.

Sort of.

I started querying, but only sent out two before I heard about Pitch Wars. I decided to give that a go, and am currently crossing my fingers my MS gets picked up. If not, it’s to the query trenches for me.

I’ve also been working my fantasy story, which is like nothing I’ve ever written before. I’m still a little totally and completely intimidated by creating an entirely new world, but it’s fun!

MY GOALS FOR THIS WEEK
Finish world-building this fantasy WIP idea. For reals this time.

A FAVORITE LINE FROM MY PROJECT OR A WORD/PHRASE THAT SUMS UP WHAT I WROTE/REVISED 
I haven’t begun writing the story yet, but as I was plotting, a scene came to me without warning. It’s between the two POV characters: a princess whose alter ego is the kingdom’s most fearsome thief and her personal guard, a knight also tasked by the king to find the thief and kill him. Here’s a piece of dialog from a scene late in the book, after the princess’ identity has been revealed.
“I admired you,” Galinn said. “I told myself that if I were to ever come upon this Black Thief, I’d ask him his secrets before I slit his throat.” 
Asta leaned in, the soft planes of her face made harsh in the flickering firelight. “And I told myself that if I happened upon my pursuer, I’d slit his throat and ask questions later.” 
THE BIGGEST CHALLENGE I FACED THIS WEEK
This week my wrists were a bit sore, so I didn’t get as much done as I would have liked. And, I’ll be honest, work pretty much screeched to a halt as soon as I got my hands on Isla and the Happily Ever After, which I’ll review in another post. (Spoiler alert: I loved it.)

SOMETHING I LOVE ABOUT MY WIP
I love the idea of hidden identities. There’s a bit of a Mr. and Mrs. Smith thing going on between two of my POV characters, and I love the keeping of secrets and the big reveal. 

How’s your planning/writing/revising going?



No comments:

Post a Comment