Like us on Facebook

 photo Final-About.png photo Final-MenuYA.png photo Final-MenuGoAway.png photo Final-MenuContact.png

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

RTW: The Story Love List


Road Trip Wednesday is a blog carnival, where YA Highway’s contributors and readers post a weekly writing- or reading-related question and answer it on our own blogs. You can hop from destination to destination and get everybody’s take on the topic.

This week’s prompt was: Inspired by Stephanie Perkins’ poston Natalie Whipple’s blog, what is your novel’s “Love List”?

According to The Great and Powerful Ms. Perkins, here’s the function of a love list:
Whenever I begin a new project, I also begin a list called “What I Love About This Story.” I start by writing down those first ideas that sparked the fires of my mind, and then I add more ideas to it as I discover them during my push through early drafts.
With that in mind, here are a few things I love about my story:

A boy with an accent
Grief
Air that smells like chocolate
Memory loss
Buzzed hair
Overcoming disability
Candy necklace
Electroshock therapy
Childhood friends
Cliffs overlooking a lake
Guilt
Red plastic glasses
Creepy hospital
Sacrifice
Stargazing

And because I basically have a love list in my mind, where I store parts of scenes, I thought it’d be fun to give you love lists from two different perspectives, too. So the first is what I love about my story in songs that capture a moment, a scene, a chapter, or the whole book. I’ve added keywords from above if they pertain to this musical love list.

Overcoming disability, memory loss:

Grief, guilt:

Creepy hospital:

Creepy hospital, sacrifice:

The second is a visual love list, with any word tags from above.

A boy with an accent, buzzed hair:

Stargazing, cliffs overlooking a lake

Creepy hospital


What’s on your love list?

2 comments:

  1. Well, this sounds positively, perfectly creepy. Love the images you included... When can I read it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is super fancy and creepy. (BTW I love boys with buzzed heads.)

    ReplyDelete